UC520 - Phone loads for SPA50x

This is for more general topics about networking and vendors.

UC520 - Phone loads for SPA50x

Post by Guest » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:06 am

I have recently purchased some SPA50X phones to add to my UC520 test bed. Ive wiped and re-loaded the UC520 config from the UC520-8.0.0.zip file and Im running CCA 2.2. The phones show up in CCA together with the older 524S handsets, but I can add the SPA phones to the Voice config as the type is not displayed in the drop down list. Ive looked everywhere on cisco.com, but can find where they would be downloaded from and every post mentions them as if they should just be there! Any suggestions, please. Jerry.

Re:UC520 - Phone loads for SPA50x

Post by Guest » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:46 am

With CCA 2.2.1 (this new version) you can "drag and drop" the FW (the .bin file inside thw zip) for SPA5xx phones from you PC  to the UC 500 icon in its topology view How to get the SPA5xx FW1. Navigate to the Cisco Support Center: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/support/index.html,2. Click Download Software,3. Log in to Cisco.com,4. Click Voice and Unified Communications,5. Click IP Telephony,6. Click IP Phones,7. Click Cisco Small Business Pro SPA500 Series IP Phones,8. Select model FW (SPA525G  or select  SPA50xG firmware (SPA50XG all use the same image file]. Here is a 96-second screencast showing navigation to the firmware:http://screencast.com/t/CUnxfoAX

Post by Guest » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:14 am

Hi Steve, Thanks very much for replying. I didn give enough information, let me try again. In CCA 2.2(1) The topology display shows the phone as "IP Phone SPA509G" If I right click on the handset and select "add to voice network", CCA displays the Voice configuration page with the user extension tab active. The handset shows as the last line in the list and in the bottom part of the display under details the MAC address is shown and under that the Phone type is SPA509G, no further information appears and the graphics of the handset shows a big question mark over a generic handset. If I proceed to fill in the user details for the extension and click apply the Red border is displayed and the phone type is highlighted. If I select the phone type box the drop list appears and the SPA50X phone type does not appear. I had already updated the SPA509 to the latest firmware 7.4.3, but did as you suggested with no change unfortunately. One other piece of information, when the SPA handset boots, after the initializing Network phase the display shows"Downloading""XMLDefault.cnf.xml" Your help is very appreciated, Jerry

Post by Guest » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:42 am

CCA 2.2.1 has a Monitor Drawer, and inside it is a Telephony -->  Phones and Extensions link.  Click that and see what the actual
unning FW is on the SPA Phone (Phone Load column) and its status (Status column)? Also check the Monitor:  telephony --> SW Pack link and see if the SPA5xx phones are listed there? CCA 2.2.1 has a Maintenance drawer where we have the Phone Load Manager.  Launch it and see that the SPA5xx phone load is recognized as being present on Flash? Adding the newest SPA500 series phone loads was introduced in CCA 2.2.1 since the PLM mentioned above, requires the phone load to be present in a bundle zip.   The drag and drop on the other hand, allows you to add a new file (as we discussed earlier in the thread). There is one other thing I would ask you, and that is when did you drag and drop the FW to the UC 500?  Before or after the upgrade to 8.0.0 bundle and from what release were you upgrading from? I have seen the case before where if the Telephony-Application commands are entered before the IOS which recognizes the new phones is running, it will all look correct in terms of TFTP-SERVER statements and LOAD statements, and files on flash, but in fact the SYSTEM/ITS directory doenst get updated with the proper configuration and the phones wont be recognized or load.(a function of Create CNF).  In this case the phone would be very blank though or with very minimal information. The easies thing to do to rule all this out, is drag and drop the phone load onto the UC500 now that its running 15.0.1XA (CME 8.0) and it should do all the above for you.  Then unplug and replug the phone into the POE port of the UC500 or ESW switch anb. see if it gets added to the voice network and is recognized by CCA Voice configuration tab. If still not good.  Execute a debug tftp events and erm mon on a session to the UC500 and unplug and reinsert the phone and paste in here what is output. Thanks.

Post by Guest » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:33 am

Steve, Thanks again, Ok in order... Monitor does not show the phones, just the 524G handsets. Maintain - only shows the 521_524 phone type. I performed the drag and drop as you suggested earlier today, I performed the UC500 8.0 upgrade yesterday (although I had a fail on the first attempt when CUE was restoring the config). Second time it seemed to go ok. The Phone is, as you say, very Blank. Menus are ok, but no phone operation. Im not convinced that the upgrade has worked! Debug file attached. Jerry