• Advertisement

switch product choice, selection based on feature requirements

Linksys, Netgear, ect. Webbase configurations for switches or layer 2 devices.

switch product choice, selection based on feature requirements

Postby Guest » Tue May 17, 2005 4:03 pm

Dear collegues,

i am looking for linksys switches for a while. and i normally work with cisco 3750 and 6500 type of series.

but now i want to realise these functionalities in a linksys/cisco smb type of switch

- stack a switch with two units

- lacp/lag a trunked portchannel with two ports with one port in each switch

and ofcource have the abiliti to turn off a switch if needed / recover form a power failure in one powergroup. or ofcource a unit failure without downtime.

assumption are then that a stack shares all resources like a cisco 3750 stack would.

when i read the cheat sheet the  SGE2000, SGE2010 are stackable, but can they do the same job as a 3750 would?

i read some strange things on the forums with creating lacp trunked ports if that allready is giving a struggle i have a hardtime assuming it would work also with a lacp in a stacked switch with one cable in each unit.

anybody have experiance with this?

what model would i need?

Thanks in advance

Soul

Advertisement

Re:switch product choice, selection based on feature requirements

Postby Guest » Tue May 17, 2005 4:11 pm

Soul,

I do not have experience stacking 3750s. Our SGEs should be able to do as you ask with copper. There will, in some instances, be packet loss. I will have to lab this request out and find out just how well our SGE can perform your specific request.

Regards,

Christopher

Postby Guest » Tue May 17, 2005 5:05 pm

Hello, I hope this finds you doing well.

For a good link on 3750 stacking, which adds a lot of information related to cross stack operations and QoS operations such as SRR:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps5023/prod_white_paper09186a00801b096a.html

For the SGE2000 reference guide:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/csbms/sge2000/reference/guide/sge_refguide.pdf

"when i read the cheat sheet the  SGE2000, SGE2010 are stackable, but can they do the same job as a 3750 would?"

<Andrew - There is a huge feature availability difference in the capabilities of the Small Business series and the Catalyst enterprise series; especially the 3560 series and above.  Not sure how far you mean to go with this question.

Really, the 3560 series and above are quite powerful switches with full L2 and full L3 capabilities, and redundancy.

Concerning the stacking, the 3750 series has a 32Gig dedicated stacking cable; this can work bi-directionally for 64Gig throughput.

The  Cisco small business series, SGE series, uses the built in Gig ports with standard cabling.

Many of the features such as stack VLAN configurations, Spanning Tree, QoS configuratios etc ... are maintained and kept the same across the stack.  The SGE series does this nicely.    

It might be helpful to better understand the end to end installation a little better.  Will the SGE sereis work for you?  Possibly, however, it would help us to know more of what you want to do with the installation.  Would also be good to hear what support needs you might have and whether or not SmartNet is a requirement.

Hope these comments help.  Kindest regards,

Andrew

Postby Guest » Tue May 17, 2005 6:21 pm

Christopher and Andrew

Thanks ofr you replies,

@Christopher, if this could be tested in a pratical usage then i would really appriciate it. (i dont want to claim a lot of your precious time of cource) (thanks in advance)

@ Andrew, the 3750 series are for me proven tehcnologie and it works, what i try to make sure is that i can have two switches of the linksys series in a stack and have a lacp/lag trunked etherchannel, and that it will work.. if a switch fails then that the most is a pingtimeout.. one 1 because of a re-arp. the docs show indeed that the 3750 series calls it a "Cross-Stack EtherChannel Connection"  if this could be done on the linksys series then i am happy and can buy it. if not i guess i need to do a bigger investment for my client.

Thanks in advance guys, and i hop cristher is able to verify and test if it works or not.

Soul

Postby Guest » Tue May 17, 2005 6:27 pm

As far as I understand it, we do support cross stack LAGs on the SGE series, although I have not tested it myself.  I am interested to see Christophers testing or confirmation as well.

W/ the 3750s, the entire stack will appear as one switch, same with the SGEs.  With the case of the 3750s, they have a dedicated stacking interface w/ built in redundancy.  The SGE series uses the Gig interface ports.

You mention only two of these switches, so communication across the stack should not be too great.  Also to note, most traffic is normally going from the edge to the core, so for most application types, this means that most of the traffic will traverse the cross-stack LAG or the uplink.  This is good.

Multicast comes to mind however ... and it you have a lot of mcast traffic, then the 3750s and the higher throughput stacking would be the ideal way to go.  You would not want a lot of traffic replicated across the 1GB stack that the SGE would be a part of ...

Any thoughts on if you need SmartNet?

I am partial to the 3750s myself (as you can probably tell:-)) , mostly because you can do almost anything with them.  Very powerful, and flexible to fit into and fix most any problem. A nice switch.  Are you also considering the 3560 series or another product set for these installs?

I hope these comments help, kindest regards,

Andrew

• Advertisement