• Advertisement

max number of users for cisco protectlink gateway service

Linksys, Netgear, sonicwall, ect. Webbase configurations for firewalls. Web filting traffic shaping.

max number of users for cisco protectlink gateway service

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:50 pm

Hi All,

What is max number of users we can have when using Cisco protect link Gateway service?

There are licenses for 25 and 100 users.

If we need 125 users, can we buy two licenses one for 100 and second for 25 users? What is maximum number we can have on one SA540?

Thanks,

Lukasz

Advertisement

Re:max number of users for cisco protectlink gateway service

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:18 pm

http://www.ciscosistemas.org/en/US/products/ps9953/index.html states that its "designed for businesses with up to 100 users" so Im betting you e out of luck here.  Im not sure why Cisco would make small business devices that support /24 LANs and then limit total protected users to less than half that unless its a performance issue.

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:48 pm

The web filerting is unlimited actually.  The SKU max limits are more for email.

The customer now has 2 options:

1.       If they do not need email filtering, they can purchase Protectlink Web, for which the number of users is unlimited - whether it’s 5 or 100 users. It’s a yearly or 3-year subscription. The SKU options are:

L-PLGW-5R=

ProtectLink Gateway 5-seat Incremental 1-year Renewal

L-PL-WEB-1=

ProtectLink Web: Unlimited Web Threat + URL Filtering, 1YR

L-PLGW-5R=

L-PL-WEB-3=

ProtectLink Web: Unlimited Web Threat + URL Filtering, 3YR

2.       If the customer needs email protection on the SA500, they should purchase the Protectlink Gateway service, which offers Web threat URL filtering and email - this is where the seat count comes in. You get up to 25-emails or up to 100-emails and you get unlimited web included. The difference is we used to have 5- and 25- incremental. With the new models, you can only buy up to 25 emails or up to 100 emails. So if you have an office with 30 emails, you have to buy the 100 email license. The replacement SKUs are:

L-PLGW-5R=

L-PL-GW-100MAX-1=

ProtectLink Gateway: Unlimited Web + 100 Max Email Seats, 1YR

L-PLGW-5R=

L-PL-GW-100MAX-3=

ProtectLink Gateway: Unlimited Web + 100 Max Email Seats, 3YR

L-PLGW-5R=

L-PL-GW-25MAX-1=

ProtectLink Gateway: Unlimited Web + 25 Max Email Seats, 1YR

L-PLGW-5R=

L-PL-GW-25MAX-3=

ProtectLink Gateway: Unlimited Web + 25 Max Email Seats, 3YR

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:26 pm

Steven,

Thanks for clairifying.  Can you have the article I linked to updated to indicate that?

Also, can we get an explaination as to why Ciscos small biz routers support a full /24 but you only support up to 100 seats?  Seems to me at 101 you e encouraging customers to look at a competitors product or a 3rd party e-mail filtering service like Postini.  It doesn make sense to send customers elsewhere.

Finally, if I had 26 users Id be rather unhappy to have to pay for 100.  Cisco is the only vendor I know of that sells products like this.  If you go to Symantec, for example, and need 26 licenses of their flagship EndPoint Protection product you buy 26 licenses, not 50 or 100 or some other number.  Given the ARP tracking necessary in all routers, youd think Cisco could license by the device down to one at a time.  Everyone else does.  Perhaps if Cisco isn prepared to handle software licensing like this they should leave the licesning up to Trend Micro, who licenses their products like Symantec does, one at a time after a minimum purchase of usually 5.

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:44 pm

I will pass the second paragraph to the PM.  Thanks for the comments.

We do have routers we do like to see customers larger than 100 users push up to.

We consider Small Business sub 100.   I know SMB can range up to 250 in the undustry, but ths is just Small.

• Advertisement