• Advertisement

[OT] Help with interview questions

VTP, Portfast, Spanning Tree and all the other switch related stuff.

[OT] Help with interview questions

Postby Guest » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:00 am

Hi,

Firstly Id like to apologise for posting to this forum, as I was unsure which one to post to.

Ive just been told that I can hire another network administrator, my problem is that Ive never done or taken a network administration/engineering interview before, so Im at a loss as to what to ask for apart from simple questions like:

1. How does tcp connection work

2. How would you setup a bgp connection

3. What is the difference between sparse and dense mode multicast?

Personally I can see what value the above will give apart from screening initial applicants out, after that process Ill need some info on how to interview potential applicants and test their network and problem solving abilities.

Can you please give me typical scenarios or questions as I assume people here have been through this process.

Many thanks for your patience and help.

Dan

Advertisement

Re:[OT] Help with interview questions

Postby Guest » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:25 am

Dan

Firstly, make sure that the questions you ask are focussed on what the person will actually be doing ie. there is no point in asking about MPLS if they are not going to be using it.

Asking concept questions rather than specific ones is a better approach and your suggested questions are along those lines. Its revealing to see how much detail and understand a person knows.

One question i like to use is to ask them to explain how host1 on subnetA talks to host2 on subnetB assuming host1 already has the IP address of host2, arp tables are empty and you are using ethernet.  What you are looking for here are the following steps -

1) host1 has to work out whether host2 is on the same subnet or not - how does it do this

2) when host1 realises it is on a different subnet what does it then do - ie. looks for default-gateway.

3) host1 arps out for default-gateway mac-address

4) host1 sends packet to default-gateway ( a router or L3 switch)

etc....

You get to see if they have a good understanding of how traffic is routed, how route lookups work, how L2 ethernet works etc..

Just as important as their knowledge is how they find a solution when they don have the knowledge ie. what tools do they use to find answers. If they can show they have a good approach to this then you can be comfortable they won need to be spoonfed every time they come across something new.

I suggest drawing up a list of things they must know for the job and then directing the questions towards those subjects.

Jon

Postby Guest » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:07 am

Jon,

Many many thanks for that insight. Ill try and think of some scenarios based around ospf, eigrp,bgp,nat,vpn.

If someone has some scenarios at hand that can share Id appreciate it.

Thanks

Dan

Postby Guest » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:36 am

dan_track wrote:

Jon,

Many many thanks for that insight. Ill try and think of some scenarios based around ospf, eigrp,bgp,nat,vpn.

If someone has some scenarios at hand that can share Id appreciate it.

Thanks

Dan

Dan

Do you have access to a lab or some equipment that they could use ?

Also, what level are you expecting this person to be at ie. CCNA/CCNP etc.

Jon

Postby Guest » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:24 am

Hi Jon,

Im expecting them to be at CCNP level.

Thanks

Dan

Next

• Advertisement