• Advertisement

Material for the ccna exam

CCNA, CCDA, CCNP, CCDP, CCIP, CCVP and CCIE

Material for the ccna exam

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:56 am

Hello, I want to prepare my self for the ccna test and I am wondering what books and material will be good to study in order to pass the test?.

Advertisement

Re:Material for the ccna exam

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:13 am

Hello, I want to prepare my self for the ccna test and I am wondering

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:36 am

Pablo:

To best answer this question, it might be helpful to provide some details about your background. For example, how much networking experience

do you have? How much of that is with Cisco products, etc.

Generally if you have less experience, youll want to take the exams in two parts (ICND1 then ICND2). ICND1 will get you a CCENT, where completion of ICND2 will get you the CCNA. You may, if you have more experience, and perhaps a good bit of Cisco-specific experience, want to go the single exam route to the CCNA. Depending upon which route you take, you might look at either the Wendell Odom books (by Cisco Press) or Todd Lammles CCNA study guide, published by Sybex. The Odom books are great for beginners that want to split the certification up into two exams. The Lammle book is excellent for the single exam route, and also has really good techniques for subnetting that are not in the Odom texts.

You will definitely want some practice, as well. I used the CiscoPress simulator, which I thought was pretty good. Nothing beats getting your hands on real equipment, and rack rentals are a good way to achieve that. You can also pick up a study lab (for example, buying parts & equipment off of eBay), but there are a lot of people that quite honestly will sell you outdated equipment that is not very relevant, or products that you can get elsewhere for free - good idea to be cautious when going this route.

One of the fundamental skills that you will need to master will be subnetting. Once you read about it and get the theory down in whatever texts you choose, theres a good free practice site at www.subnetskillz.com.

Hope this helps.

rjl

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:54 am

Thank you for your response, I already got the Lammle book and I will get the Odom one too.  I don   have much experience with cisco,  I know some of the basics of network like what is an IP,  the concept of LAN and WAN, little bit of subneting and I know how to create a small network you know puting some computer togheter and also simple settings on routeres like netopia basically foward ports. I was thinking to take the CCNA exam directly you know for a short cut and minimize the cost but acoriding to your advise will be better for me  to breake it into the two test.  If you have any other advises could you please let me know.

thank you again

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:10 am

Pablo:

It really sounds to me like you will have a better learning experience by splitting up the exams. The Odom books will be helpful to you for that, however, don get rid of the Lammle book. Chapter 3 (strictly my opinion, here) has a much better explanation of subnetting. And, its always good to have two views on anything you learn.

Other advice? Read & practice to learn, not to pass an exam. The certification is nice, but the real value is the knowledge behind it, and if you focus on the learning, passing the exam will be easy.

Best of luck!

RJL

• Advertisement